Where Are You Headed?
Can a person know where he is headed? Can he be sure that he is on the right road, the one that will make this life one of blessing and happiness, and the next life safe and secure in heaven? Can he know without a doubt whether he is saved or lost?
Yes, this precious information is furnished us in God's road map, the Bible. While we may not know what lies immediately ahead of us, we may know, positively, where we are going to be throughout all eternity. In spite of all the claims that "you can't know till you get there," God's infallible Word makes it plain that you can know, for the matter is decided in this life.
- "These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life" (1 John 5:13).
- "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." (1 Corinthians 1:18).
Thus, the Bible says that there are people who "are saved," and people who are not, and that "you may know" that you have eternal life.
Men and their religions have many theories of salvation. They will point you in more directions than a weathervane. But their ways of salvation are all vain and futile, for they are based, in one way or another, upon human effort or human merit. Some would have you try to reform and live better, some would tell you to keep the Ten Commandments or the Golden Rule; some would have you go through certain church rituals, baptism, confirmation, etc. But in the third chapter of Romans we learn that man is a corrupt and fallen creature who has gone out of the true way. He is incapable of meriting God's favor,
- for "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Read Romans 3:9-28.)
God has only one way of salvation for sinners. His way is not based upon any human reform or effort, but upon the finished work of His beloved Son, who being without sin or guilt, was alone qualified to die judicially in man's place before God, paying for man's sin with His own blood.
- "The blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin" (1 John 1:7).
God's way is bound up in the Lord Jesus Christ, the One who said:
- "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me" (John 14:6).
- And again, "the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out" (John 6:37).
In all of man's futile ways, you are urged to try to hang on to your salvation, but if you receive God's salvation it will be your eternal possession (John 10:27-30).
Not only is it possible to know right now where you are headed, but you need to know. Eternal life is more than a promise; it is a state of being, a present possession. Either you have it or you don't, and right now is the time to make sure.
- "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life" (John 5:24).
- "He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life" (1 John 5:12).
God is not willing that any should perish. If you are willing to come to Him as a guilty and undeserving sinner, He is willing to give you eternal life as a gift, bought and paid for on the cross of Calvary.
- "The gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23).
- "As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name" (John 1:12).
Then you will be sure you are on the right road, and can say with David the Psalmist,
- "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever" (Psalm 23:6).
[Bible quotes are from the New King James version.]