3 Things God Cannot Do
Are there really 3 things that God cannot do? Can’t God do everything?
Let’s take a look at God’s own Word to see what He Himself tells us.
God Cannot Lie
“Ahh,” you say, “yes, I believe that God cannot lie.” This may seem rather obvious or even a trick answer, but nevertheless absolutely true.
According to God’s own Word in Titus 1:2 we see
God, and God alone, can make that claim.
God Cannot Change
“Oh, sure,” you say, “I believe that God cannot change.” This is also a rather obvious truth.
God tells us in His Word, in Malachi 3:6,
- “I am the Lord, I do not change.”
This is another characteristic which is unique to God alone.
God Cannot Allow Sinners into Heaven
“Hmmm,” you say, “I’m not so sure about that one. I don’t know that I believe that.” But, do you know how we know that this is true — absolutely true? Because God Himself tells us, and God cannot lie and God cannot change. So, if God said it, it is true and it is true for all time.
Jesus says in John 3:3,5
- “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
- "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.”
You may reasonably question the truthfulness of whatever you hear from men including myself. But what we find in God’s Word (the Bible) is absolutely true and true for ever (Psalm 119:89).
Now, if God cannot allow sinners into heaven, this is very bad news for all of us because God also tells us:
- “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).
That may be a difficult truth to accept about yourself, but accept it you must. You may have believed that you were pretty good, but you now know that you are a sinner. The Bible says in 1 John 1:10:
- “If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him [God] a liar.”
Is there more to the story? Is there a way to get to heaven?
Let’s examine more of God’s true words to us. In John 14:6 Jesus said,
- “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
Jesus explains that there are not many ways to get to heaven. There is one way, and that way is Jesus Himself, because He alone died for our sins:
- “While we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8).
Again, we know this is true, because God said it and He doesn’t lie and He doesn’t change.
- “Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12).
Salvation is only through Jesus.
There is an incident recorded in the Bible where a man asked: “What must I do to be saved?” The answer is:
- “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved” (Acts 16:30,31).
You may say, “But, don’t I have to do something else?” God gives the answer:
- “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast” (Ephesians 2:8,9).
God made salvation so plain and so simple.
Simply take God at His word. His Word is eternally true (Psalm 119:160). You now know that you are a sinner; you know that there is no salvation in works; and you know that you must believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved.
- “Repent, and believe in the gospel” (Mark 1:15).
- “If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9).
If you have repented and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior, then you may know that you have eternal life. God says in 1 John 5:13:
- “These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.”
In the past, you may have hoped that you were going to heaven.
Now you may know it!
[Bible quotes are from the New King James version.]